What is GastroHEALTH?
The health of your horse reflects the health of their gut. Maintaining good gut function is essential for optimal feed conversion, performance and the overall wellbeing of your horse.
GastroHEALTH is a palatable, value for money nutritional supplement formulated to promote the health and function of the total digestive tract.
- Highly palatable
- Pelleted for convenience
- Value for money
- Enhanced protection
- Superior feed conversion
- Non swabbable
How does GastroHEALTH work?
GastroHEALTH provides a 6-step gut health protection system for your horse;
• Neutralises stomach acid
Excess stomach acid can be combated by providing your horse with a natural buffer. Calcareous marine algae (Aquamin) provides a rich source of bioavailable calcium which acts as a buffer, reducing the negative effects of repeated acid exposure on the sensitive stomach lining. The algae’s unique honeycomb structure slowly breaks down, providing a gradual release of calcium and a longer-lasting buffering effect.
• Promotes Healthy Stomach Lining
Psyllium husk and lecithin work together to form a physical barrier against acid burn and promote a healthy stomach lining.
Psyllium husk is high in fibre and mucilage, which is a compound that becomes viscous and gelatinous when combined with water. The gel-like substance coats the stomach wall, shielding it from the corrosive effects of gastric acid.
Lecithin is a phospholipid that interacts with the stomach lining, strengthening the health of the cells and repelling acid away from the stomach lining.
• Unique, Powerful Prebiotic
Yang® is a unique, powerful prebiotic derived from the yeast cell walls of specifically selected strains of yeast. Mannan-oligosaccharides (MOS) are a yeast cell wall derivative that prevent the development of pathogenic (harmful) bacteria in the digestive system by blocking their attachment to the intestinal lining. They also promote the development of beneficial microbes by acting as a food source.
Another yeast cell wall derivate are beta-glucans. Beta-glucans are recognised by immune system cell receptors and stimulate immunity in the mucosae of the digestive tract. Basically, they enhance the “readiness” of immune cells to respond to pathogens.
• Maintains Integrity of Intestinal Lining
Levucell SB® is a live yeast probiotic (Saccharomyces boulardii strain l-1079) that has been selected for its benefits in regulating intestinal microflora profiles and promoting the integrity of the mucosal lining.
- Binds to bacterial toxins (Clostridium difficile which is a common cause of diarrhoea in horses).
- Adheres to harmful bacteria and blocks their attachment to the intestinal lining.
- Maintains a healthy intestinal lining:
- Promotes robust intestinal cells.
- Decreases intestinal permeability (prevents pathogens “leaking” into the bloodstream).
• Promotes Beneficial Microbes
Levucell SC® is a live yeast probiotic (Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain l-1077) that has been selected for its benefits on the fermentation stage of digestion (i.e. at the caecal level). Levucell SC® helps to maintain a suitable environment in the horse’s hindgut to support a healthy balance of microflora:
- Stabilises hindgut pH by increasing the number of lactate-utilising bacteria (decreases lactic acid).
- Supplies essential nutrients for beneficial microflora (e.g. amino acids & B vitamins).
- Creates optimal anaerobic (oxygen-free) conditions for beneficial, fibre-fermenting microbes by scavenging residual oxygen in the digestive tract.
• Enhanced Protection
Melofeed® is obtained from the concentrated juice and pulp of fresh melons naturally rich in primary antioxidants, particularly superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase. Antioxidants help to protect cells from irreversible damage caused by free radicals. Melofeed® has a powerful antioxidant effect by stimulating the first line of defence by increasing synthesis of SOD, catalase and glutathione peroxidase, thereby improving cell resistance to oxidative stress.
Sizes: 1.68kg, 4.8kg